View Single Post

Old 06-04-2016, 12:16 PM
US Veteran

Liked 22,298 Times in 4,530 Posts

Well, I've posted this one elsewhere, but here is a Colt 1917 Army marked gun, in the coarse finish that was found near the end of production for the First Woeld War. According to the serial number, though, using "Proofhouse's" numbers, it would have been made in 1920, well after the end of the war. It has all of the military marks though. I'm certainly no expert on military arms, and put it forward as fitting into the "Roarin Twenties" theme. It is in almost mint condition, but with some unusual exceptions: notice that someone has thoughtfully done a rather crude "checkering" job on the otherwise nice grips, also, not showing in this photo, but the bottom of the grip frame surrounding the lanyard swivel, the metal is a patina, almost like the gun had been carried in a full flap holster, and was only exposed in that area for wear. ??? Who knows. But there is no bluing wear on the barrel or elsewhere to show that it had been kept in a holster. Bore looks like the day it came from the factory. I shoot it with both moon clipped 45 autos, and my special Auto Rim handloads.

It may be close to the date of Wyatt Burps neat snubby conversion.

Anyway, I'm not sure how I can call a cannon of this size a "Slick Shooter", but it was in the right place at the right time!!!

Best Regards, Les

Last edited by les.b; 06-04-2016 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Grammar
The Following 6 Users Like Post: