View Single Post

Old 06-06-2016, 01:12 PM

Liked 169 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettis1 View Post
Lee,

I have an old "junk" collector friend who has a K frame that is "Pawn Shop" engraved that is documented to have belonged to a Chief of the Ft. Worth PD. However, he thinks it is worth more than I do so I haven't been able to pick it up yet...still trying though.

Regarding the story about the happenings in Sherman, I'll quote from the story in Lone Wolf Gonzaullas, Texas Ranger by Brownson Malsch:

"Captain Hamer told Judge Carter (the trial judge of the black man charged with the rape) that in his opinion, the trial could not be continued in Sherman without blood being shed. The judge announced that a change of venue would be ordered and pandemonium ensued when the crowd thought that the man they sought would be removed from their grasp.

At that point Hamer received a message from Governor Dan Moody that told him to 'protect the Negro if possible, but not to shoot anyone'. Captain Hamer was quoted as telling Judge Carter 'This means the mob will get the Negro'.

The mob leaders heard about the message and decided that the alleged instruction to Hamer would apply with equal force to the National Guardsmen. It was concluded that no matter the extreme to which the crowd might go, no one was in danger of being shot. That was judged to have been the turning point in the whole ugly affair. Tear gas was used but the only result was to further enrage the crowd.

The Grayson County Court House was masonry but the interior was dry old wood and gasoline was poured in a window and ignited. The 21 man Sherman fire department responded and attempted to fight the fire but as soon as they laid hoses, the hoses were slashed. Mob leaders allowed the firemen one sound hose to put out fires which ignited on adjacent buildings but warned that if the hose was turned toward the Court House, it would be cut."

An ugly page in the history of that community.

Bob
Great Post-But in defense of Governor Moody, he never issued a no shoot order to the Texas Rangers guarding the prisoner. This was a rumor started by an AP reporter and picked up by the mob. Captain Hamer did fire on the mob at one point with a shotgun. The prisoner had been locked in the County Clerk's vault and suffocated during the burning of the courthouse. The rangers were the last out and didn't have the vault's combination. After the fire, the mob opened the vault with torches, lynched the body and burned it in a bonfire. Martial law was declared and the Texas National Guard ended the insurrection.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: