View Single Post

Old 06-12-2016, 10:45 AM

Liked 1,001 Times in 414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
Speaking for the fifty, the only reason I started gunsmithing about 25 years ago was because I wanted trigger work done on my Beretta and the soonest I could get any smith to even look at it was about six months.

The problem is the kind of attitude I see shining through your post is pretty much what I have seen from a lot of smiths. Nobody here (except maybe you) is talking about a master gunsmith. But some of us have learned how to do some basic and very useful things to guns (at least, the brands I own) and we share it when somebody asks. Knowledge is power and not being able to do basic repairs or mods leaves a person at the mercy of gougers. Not all smiths gouge, but some do. My main gripe is the horrible service and ridiculous lead times (paging Doctor C+S....).

It's kind of ridiculous to take such offense when what we are talking about is tweaking a cheap spring. Worst he could do is mess up the spring and have to buy a new one for five bucks.
So true!
I don't try to do a master gunsmith trigger job but just doing the easy steps of putting in an 11lb. trigger rebound spring, decreasing the width of the mainspring or putting in a lighter mainspring on a J frame, stoning the bottom and side of the trigger rebound spring housing and the frame where it contacts with a small whetstone makes a world of difference.