View Single Post

Old 06-18-2016, 05:57 AM

Liked 523 Times in 330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmerrell View Post
Well, she's all 44-40. No more doubt in my mind.

Hi Stan,

After taking note to the measurement of the Chamber Throat in your above photo...I finally dug out the only NM#3 I hadn't previously checked chambered in .44-40...(Also a .44 Frontier)...I'm now starting to lean more towards the possibility...Though still not completely convinced...If that Cylinder is "Most Definitely" the original to Your Revolver when shipped...It possibly may have left the Factory originally chambered for a .44-40 Cartridge!!

Reason being...At some point in time...It looks as though S&W may have used a Different .44-40 Reamer to chamber some of these Frontier SA Revolvers...(Note the Photo I've attached)!!

As an aside...This is the "Only" No.3 Model Revolver I own...(Single or Dbl.-Action)...Having a .44-40 Chamber exhibiting only one Shelf...All the others have Two...The one near the center of the Chamber being very subtle at the Transition Point of where the Cartridge starts to Bottleneck & the other near the Frt. of the Chamber being somewhat sharp as it shows in the Photos I posted earlier!! Also...The Chamber Throat measurement on mine is very near the same as Yours!!

I'll also note...The photo was taken of the Cylinder in a Very High "Original Condition" Frontier NM#3 Single-Action!! As you can see the Chamber looks to be very near in appearance as to what yours looks to be as well...The only exception being the transition into the Bottleneck Area looks to have a much less Defined Shelf on mine at that point compared to yours!!

Of course...Regardless of what I've now noted...I suppose the only somewhat definitive way of knowing with "Any" degree of certainty...Regardless of a few things that still don't sit well with me...Is to see if Roy's Letter states it shipped chambered in .44-40 when it arrives...Good Luck!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .44-40 Cyl. Chamber 016.jpg (94.3 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Masterpiece; 06-18-2016 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Clarify Previous Statement
The Following User Likes This Post: