Thread: 1st Duty Weapon
View Single Post

Old 06-21-2016, 03:37 AM
US Veteran

Liked 159 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
I was a USAF cop and was normally given a Victory Model, as we were short of Combat Masterpieces then. I could get a .45 auto on request, and often did, worn in a personally owned Jordan style holster.

I worried a lot about the weak M-41 .38 ammo, until the NCOIC took unit funds and bought some .38 Hi-Velocity 150 grain FMJ ammo, off-base. This was probably .38-44 ammo, but safe to fire in K-frame guns in modest quantities. More would loosen the guns too soon. But we practiced with .38 wadcutters. This was as good as we could legally carry in the military, due to the Hague Accords. I still had more faith in the .45 ammo. Thankfully, never had to shoot anyone. Never had to even use my nightstick. I was lucky.
I was surprised to learn that the USAF updated and improved their .38 Special ball ammunition several times over the decades of use. They actually ended-up with a rather robust round -- something like 850 FPS -- before changing to the 9mm - which was probably a smart move over all. The worse aspect of the USAF SP sidearm scenario with the .38 Special, was the ridiculous way they carried extra ammo in the dump pouches. The rounds were kept in web nylon cartridge loop thingys, that would take minutes to remove the individual cartridges from the webbing loops and load into the revolver -- unimaginable under stress. Some of the guys decided to carry either the Binachi speed strips or early style Safariland rubber speed loaders in their flight jackets -- way under the radar..

Last edited by AimHigher; 06-21-2016 at 04:07 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: