Thread: 1st Duty Weapon
View Single Post

Old 06-21-2016, 05:16 AM

Liked 13,323 Times in 3,303 Posts

Thanks for sharing all the memories and the pictures all of you.

I've never been a police officer. The closest I ever came was working for Burns and Pinkerton's as an armed security guard. My training was being asked "Have you ever fired a gun?" Well, I'd hunted most of my life, so I said "yes." Congratulations, you're an armed guard...don't shoot yourself or anyone else you don't have to."

The first revolver I was issued at Burns, was a Colt Official Police, 38, with pearl grips. I'm sure the pearl was fake now, but it was COOL when I was 21 or 22 or whatever it was. A Sam Brown belt, a Jordan Holster, and six rounds of LRN ammo. Oh, and a booklet "You and your revolver." I was ready.

I remember later being issued a Model 10 with Pachmayr's. I'm not sure, but I think it was with Pinkerton's. The funny thing is I remember the revolvers, but don't remember the assignment at all. The jobs I do remember were all unarmed.

Neither company kept track of the weapons. I held onto both of them, even long after I stopped working for them. Finally they would call me and ask if I still had them. I remember one, I forget which now, asking me if I'd mind dropping it off. They were doing inventory. I almost think they would have given it back to me if I'd asked.

Never did fire either one of them.

I just remembered. One of the assignments was one of the first all night grocery stores in Richmond. We had a guard killed there while I was working. I wasn't there that night, but heard the story of course. Two teenage thugs walked in and and shot him dead while he was standing in the door of the guard shack in the front of the store. They then must have panicked and run. They never even robbed the place. I remember going to work the next day, maybe the day after that, and seeing the hole in the door frame where the bullet had exited and hit the door frame. Or maybe they fired twice, but I remember the hole in the door frame.
John 3:16 .
The Following 6 Users Like Post: