Thread: 1st Duty Weapon
View Single Post

Old 06-23-2016, 02:15 PM

Liked 283 Times in 145 Posts

My first issue handgun was a pre-war S&W .38 nickel HD. In1959, TXDPS only has about 400 28s. Not enough to allow everyone to have one. I was not a top shooter at the time. I worked hard at perfecting my skills and made the regional team in a few years.

As to cars, my 59 Ford was slow. A 61 Plymouth was fast. A 63 Plymouth was faster. Problem was that the front end wanted to go airborne at much over 155. We would have to ease off to maintain steering. Then I got a 64 Ford. Low and well suspended, it may have been the best handeling patrol vehicle I ever had. Thanks to my local dealer, it was fast enough to catch the local Corvettes. A 67 Plymouth may have been the fastest of all. After blowing three engines within thirty days because of high speed oiling problems, and thinking that I might be fired, my dealer did some engine modifications, installed an eight quart oil pan, and changed the rear axle ratio. 167.?? by the stop watch for two miles. I had about 90k on that one when I was promoted. The troops back at the old station hung on to that one to almost 150k. The 64 Ford taught me that skillful driving is as important as raw speed, except on long straight away roads. We had lots of hill and curves.

Rambling,

Jack
The Following 13 Users Like Post: