Thread: 1st Duty Weapon
View Single Post

Old 06-25-2016, 07:59 PM
US Veteran

Liked 22,296 Times in 4,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153 View Post
As soon as I got out of the Academy I ordered out a new Model 66, which I have kept through the years. I had wanted to get a 4" 27, but they were not available in '79. After wearing the duty belt for a short time I decided that a heavier revolver wasn't a good idea...

Yep! Even though I was young and in shape back then, one of the first things I noticed after I got out of the academy and started working the streets was how heavy all that stuff you had to tote on your duty belt was after 8 or 10 hours!!! Didn't seem bad at the start of the shift, but after hours, it got heavier and heavier. Of course, like everything else, after a time you got used to it and didn't even notice it. But the 66 was a great revolver for the era. A stainless version of the Combat Magnum, beloved of Bill Jordan (we even used the "Jordan Border Patrol" holster by Don Hume), a gun that would brave the elements, and ours held up very well, and I still have both my 4" and my 2 1/2" versions, and they are still great guns forty years later!!! (I posted them above in post number 60).

Best Regards, Les

Last edited by les.b; 06-25-2016 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Spelling error, add a thought
The Following 7 Users Like Post: