View Single Post

Old 06-26-2016, 11:12 PM
US Veteran

Liked 22,296 Times in 4,529 Posts

Jlang13:

Well, I have heard back from one of the real authorities on Smith and Wessons in general, and especially on the little "I" frames, and "J" frames. Your Model 42 is a "J" frame. He goes by "Hondo44" here on the forum, and whenever I run across his posts, I try to pay particular attention, as I am usually about to learn something. He has given me permission to post his reply to my PM inquiry to him. Here is his message:

"Hi Les,

#1. One must recognize Centennial models are a breed of their own. During they're entire initial production run from 1952 thru 1974, both models, steel and airweight, barely sold over 40,000 units. They were slow movers, hence deleted from the line in '74. IMO they were ahead of their time, even though based on the same concept of a much older design. They are much more popular today than in the past. See the significance of being a slow seller and its affect on its time line below.

#2. The SCSW is a great source, but not perfect. This is especially true of the the '50s I and J frame sections. They were collector 'orphans' whose focus was on the glamorous N and K frames of the period. Only now are they becoming appreciated. Jim Supica was happy to get my corrections to the 3rd ed. for his 4th edition, because 90% of that I submitted dealt with correcting information about the I and J frames of the '50s.

#3. As you know, nothing with S&W is absolute. And S&W never attempted to assemble or ship their guns in evolutionary or serial # order. They forged and machined frames in large batches and stuck them in inventory. When they decided to build more, they just grabbed a batch of soft fitted assemblies, stamped with the 3 assembly #s, (but un-serial numbered), from stock; serial numbered them from a block of numbers and completed them. The block of numbers could be a block of serial #s higher than an unused block of lower numbers, saved for another model using the same serial range, such as the airweight. They paid no attention to which evolution of frame/yoke/side plate assemblies that they grabbed. The 'first in, last out' rule prevailed.

So there are many anachronisms (serial numbered guns with early features way out of the normal considered time line). This is exacerbated when we talk about 'slow movers' like Centennial frames that sat in stock much longer! We see lower #'d 3 screw frames that were forged/machined last, but completed before higher or lower serial #d 4 screw or 4 screw with bug screw frames.

Another anomoly: lower numbered guns completed first, can be placed in the back of the safe, with higher # guns filling the shelf towards the front of the safe as the batch is completed. Which do they grab first to fill an order; walk to the back of the shelf for lower #d guns? Nope, the ones in front with higher #s get shipped first!

So I see no issue with 4 Screw frames, or even 4 screw with bug screw frames shipped in 1957, or later and stamped with Model #s. So although the upper side plate screw deletion was ordered 12/13/55, we still see them being assembled and/or shipped long after.

I'm in the minority because 'shipped dates' mean little to me. They don't reflect production time all that well, especially again, on slow moving models. That's why I'm more interested in the evolutionary features of a model.

A word about assembly #s:

Assembly (factory work) #s: These multi-digit numbers of 3 to 5 digits, are on the yoke at the hinge, in the ‘yoke cut’ on frame opposite the yoke near the hinge, and inside of the sideplate, for the pre war and early post war period. The assembly # in the yoke cut of the frame was relocated to the left side of grip frame after model #s were assigned and the serial # was added in the ‘yoke cut’ where the assembly #, now moved to the left side of the grip frame, used to be. You know they are assembly (factory work) #s because of those 3 locations that always match on guns that are original, and that’s the only usefulness for them after guns leave the factory: still used to this day, long after serial number locations decreased.

I hope this captures the essence of your question. If not, pls let me know.

Jim"

Well, I would still like to see a better photo of the crane recess stamp for "MOD 42". And I would still advise you to invest in a factory letter from Roy Jinks, the Smith and Wesson Historian.

Best Regards, Les