View Single Post

Old 06-27-2016, 01:50 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,414 Times in 545 Posts
Default 3 Triple lock 7 1/2 inch Targets in Rare calibers

Hi
Here are my 3 Triple locks in 7 1/2 inch Targets.

1. Serial number 4699 in 45 Colt, open in the records but it is right. It was owned by a
Michigan HP LT that Was on the shooting team and was the training Officer. It is a all
matching Numbered gun. It also has a Checkered Trigger and a lanyard ring and the
serial number is stamped on the grip frame left side. This is the only 7 1/2 Target
that I have seen the 45 Colt. There were only about 20 triple locks made in 45 colt
and all the ones I have seen are fixed sights.

2. Serial number 4337 Has a factory letter was shipped in 1910 to a Washington Hardware
Company. I bought this one about 5 years ago from the son of the man that owned the
gun all his life. It is in 44/40 caliber the man that owned the gun was a Hunter and he
used it to hunt in Washington as he had a Winchester in 44/40 that used the same
ammo. This also the only 7 1/2 in target that is documented in 44/40.

3. Serial number 4176 Has a factory letter and was shipped in 1910 it is in 44 special
Caliber.

I have shot all of these and they shoot great. I will attach targets for all three.
Enjoy the history and the guns, the 45 Colt and the 44/40 are the only ones that I have seen in over 40 years of collecting.
Jim Fisher
Here is some more information on the 44/40 target from my original post in 1910.
Rare Triple Lock Target in 44/40 turns 100 years old on 2/28/2010
Century Old Triple Lock Target 7 1/2 in 44-40 Cal.

Two years ago a fellow member of the SWCA perused my display at a Washington Arms Collector show in Puyallup, and took note of my interest in rare variations in S&W revolvers. Sometime later, an elderly gentleman approached him about selling an heirloom revolver. After meeting the gentleman and inspecting his revolver, he contacted me about adding it to my collection.
The revolver is an original parts matching Triple Lock Target in .44-40 Winchester with 7 ½” barrel. The package included a period correct shoulder holster and a box of ammunition. It was ordered by the 83 year old gentleman’s father, and shipped on February 28, 1910 to a hardware store in western Washington. It has been in the family until now.His father was an avid hunter, and after taking delivery, carried the revolver throughout a lifetime of adventures, including taking mountain lions. He wanted a handgun in the same chambering as the rifle he used while hunting, something more powerful than a .44 Special loading.
The revolver shows carry wear, and is definitely not a safe queen, but it is one of the rarest S&W revolvers ever made. In my long experience as a collector, this is the first revolver of this type and caliber that I’ve seen. I am very happy I was able to acquire it. I have other .44-40s-- Triple Locks and 2nd models, but this one stands alone.
I f anyone has factory documented information on similar guns that I can provide when I display it, please let me know.

Enjoy the information and the picture, this could be the only 7 1/2 Target made in this Caliber.
Jim Fisher SWCA 1491

Last edited by bmg60; 06-29-2016 at 08:32 AM.
The Following 87 Users Like Post:
1Aspenhill, 22hipower, 475OKH, 6518John, arjay, Art Doc, bamabiker, Bat Guano, bbqncigars, bettis1, bigolddave, bigwagon, Bill Bates, bill skebeck, bob1956, bracebeemer, bruce5781, Bullet Bob, Chopper1388, da gimp, delta-419, DGT, doowtag, Doug M., Duke44, dwf6666, Engineer1911, firemanhank, Fish827, fkd713, gmiller0737, gripper, Guero, H Richard, hardknocks, Hdhic, Hiero6, Hoosier45, Iggy, Jack Flash, JayCeeNC, jmace57, JohnRippert, Kelpatt, ki5mc, kryten67, KSK, linde, litauer, long colt frazier, M1A, Magneto, medic15al, model3sw, mojave30cal, mrcvs, Muley Gil, Ngtdog, Nightowl, ol' geeser, OldK22, opoefc, pawncop, perryhd, quinn, rbrbrb6, red9, RKmesa, Russell Cottle, S&WIowegan, SAFireman, SDH, series guy, silentflyer, STCM(SW), SteveA, tftech1, The Gila Bender, THE PILGRIM, Tom K, tom32, tops, TripleLock, turnerriver, usm1rifle, Widetrack, Wiregrassguy