View Single Post

Old 07-04-2016, 06:17 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

I never had the wooden night stick. I had the plastic PR24 side handle baton. I remember in the academy doing the stupid drills with it. Holding it by the side handle and using it like a tonfa to block and the swinging it by the handle at the bag. In reality, they were held by the bottom and swung like a bat.

But when the wooden ones were issued, rookies would spend hours on their days off learning to twirl it, not to mention twirling it all day at work. Guys would bang them on the concrete and thrown them against walls to scar them up and make them look more used.

All I know is, when I was a kid in Brooklyn, all it took was ONE cop walking the best twirling that baton to clear an entire corner or park of some serious looking dudes. They knew he would not hesitate to crack their skulls, and unlike today, he wouldn't be crucified for doing so.

If you ever watch the "Maniac Cop" series of films(cheesy, I know), the Maniac Cop brought back from the dead walks the beat expertly twirling his baton with his Model 10 at his side. Very retro. Hell, I remember the days that cops had a simple belt, holster and gun, dump pouches, stick, and cuff case. Guys now are so loaded down with gear it's amazing they can walk.

Last edited by kbm6893; 07-04-2016 at 06:22 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: