View Single Post

Old 07-04-2016, 07:50 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,764 Times in 1,784 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian894x4 View Post
I've read some snippits here and there of the Seals using both Model 66s and Model 686s. Nothing concrete, just a lot of snippits, including things like Seal Team 6 was the only one to use the 66 and the rest used 686s, that they were used because stainless steal was easier to deal with in salt water environments.

I've also read that the Seals might "still" use the 686 in some cases, because it's less likely to jam in silty water, etc, etc.

I'm curious if anyone has a more detailed account of their use by the Seals. And especially any pictures or information on when they were used, how they were carried (where and holsters, etc) and specificly what models were used. Were they only 4" barrel models for example, or did they carry 2.5 or 3" versions too?

Also, if any modifications were done to them...i.e. changes in sights, internals or anything else?

It just really peaked my interest when I read this and I'd like to find out as much as I can about their use by the Seals since I'm a big Model 66 fan. If there's a website or anything that I missed while trying to search I'd appreciate the link too.

I figure these were probably all mid 1960s guns so that's why I posted in this section. Thanks for any insight or info.
This zombie thread has come to life and I noticed this first post could use some actual dates of introduction of stainless revolvers by S&W. The stainless Model 60 came first in 1965. The Model 66 was introduced in 1970 and the Model 686 came out in 1980. All these dates are in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson.