View Single Post

Old 07-05-2016, 01:54 PM

Liked 2,047 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIS35 View Post
Maybe the finest battle pistol ever designed. Used by both sides during WWII, and nearly all but eastern bloc military and police units well into the early 21st century.. Designed with the mag. diconnect safety from the get go, and has always performed flawlessly. So unless you intend to shoot slow-fire bulls-eye with a Hi-Power, why fool with removing the safety? Just sayin'
I remove it because it is not a "safety" IMHO. It is a mag disconnect which serves a purpose for military use by the French who were the ones who originally requested it. There is some speculation as to why it was requested but for me it is unnecessary part. Just because it was part of the original spec does not make the part desirable, necessary or a good idea.

Many people site the 1970s-1980s US LEO reason for its existence in the S&W semi autos which was if an officer was loosing control of their service weapon in a scuffle the officer could render it useless by dropping the mag. This was never stated as the reason for its existence in the French contract.

The only reasoning that I have ever heard which made sense for a military service pistol was that the mag dissconnect was put into the spec for inspection and for storage. If the magazine was remove from the pistol prior to inspection the gun was made "safe". Also if all pistols were stored without their magazines then all pistols were stored in a "safe" condition. I have never been able to confirm this but it makes more sense to me than the LEO S&W explanation.

PS I take them out of my Gen 3 S&Ws as well. LOL

Last edited by WVSig; 07-05-2016 at 02:00 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: