View Single Post

Old 07-16-2016, 08:35 PM

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofthebeach View Post
I can't remember where I heard it discussed, but potential hearing loss resulting from firing a weapon indoors in a home defense scenario was mentioned in several threads, especially as it relates to calibers like .357 fired from short barreled revolvers.

I have absolutely no experience firing centerfire calibers indoors without at least one layer of hearing protection, and as I was thinking about the possibility of using a .357 2-1/2" 686 for home defense, I was wondering what ideas any of you had on this topic.

I didn't know what part of the forum to post this in, but since it applies (in my case) to a 686, I thought this might be a good place to ask.

Have any of you ever fired a weapon indoors without hearing protection? If something went bump in the night, and I grabbed my 686 and a flashlight, is there anything else I might use to protect my hearing while seeking to protect my family and myself? Would .38's (aside from the reduced muzzle flash) be better from this standpoint?

Assuming I had the time to use it, isn't there some kind of hearing protection that would enable me to hear clearly, yet shut down any muzzle blast? I know that there are electronic "muffs" that work at the range, but would they also enable me to hear more subtle sounds in my home, as I checked out each room?

I, and what's left of my hearing, thank you in advance.

--Andy

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk