View Single Post

Old 07-22-2016, 09:20 PM

Liked 19,903 Times in 8,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
On rare occasions, yes I do. What I always carry, nowadays though, are extra magazines.

True Story: A number of years ago I was practicing at a remote local gun range (A large, really nice, but very isolated place where I usually got to practice in the best way I know how - all by myself!) when I shot my S&W Model 29 completely, 'dry'. I'd gone through about 75 rounds; and I didn't have a single cartridge left! So, one last time, I opened the cylinder, relaxed, turned around, and - voilą, all of a sudden - I saw this slender, swarthy, very neatly dressed man standing about 25 feet away from and directly behind me.

Where he came from I could only guess? Right off, I liked his clothes! He was casually, but expensively, dressed in the same manner that I used to do before I retired. That was all fine; but, what bothered me about him was he had this big, rather strange, leering grin on his face! Somehow, his wide grin gave me the impression the guy thought he, 'owned' me.

As I walked back to the bench I was holding the Model 29 in my right hand with the cylinder open, two fingers curled around the top strap, and my thumb against the cylinder. All of a sudden, and in a rather ominous sounding voice the fellow says to me, 'You shot 'er dry; didn't you!' That was it! I didn't need to hear anything else.

That guy had done an excellent job of sneaking up on me while I was busy engaging a row of targets by firing and speed loading my way across the line. Except for my SUV the parking lot appeared to be empty; so he'd already walked quite a distance in order to get behind me! (Probably along the tree line at the edge of the lot.) I immediately recognized that I, now, needed to distract him; so, I held up the empty 29, flashed the open cylinder at him and replied, 'You mean this?'

He laughed at me and said, 'Don't you know that you should never do something like that, and - especially not - in a place like this!' He was perfectly correct, of course; and, while he was speaking, I used the time to reach behind my left hip and draw a fully loaded, S&W Model 59. (My, 'Serpico pistol'!)

All of a sudden like, he lost his scat-eating grin! That Model 59 made the silly little Sterling pistol he was holding look like a peashooter! With the encounter between us already decided, I said to him, 'Enlighten me!' 'What kind of game are we playing, here?' Nothing came of this event. Nothing came of it, probably, because I'd been carrying a large and exceedingly formidable, second pistol!

Funny thing is, though, that morning, as I was carrying my range bag to the truck, a very quiet, 'voice' had whispered in my ear, 'Go back to the house, get your Model 59, and take it with you today.' I swear! It was that same quiet voice which, over the years, I've learned to never, ever ignore. (Because every time I haven't listened something really bad has happened to me; but, then again, as I've discovered: One of life's greatest lessons is, in fact, to learn 'How' to listen!)
LOL.....my 3913 is always along for the ride....................................and I always have a loaded gun on me..........................

I shoot at a local gun club that is often inhabited by.....just me ........

Even on the rifle range ..... I take my rifle with me to check targets...... empty yes....... but a loaded mag in my pocket/belt pouch...............

I've seen lots of guys lay down an AR...loaded mags near by.... and head down to the other end of a 100yd range........

or leave 5/6 handguns on the bench while 25-50 yds down range........

safety rules are great ......but .......

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 07-22-2016 at 09:22 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: