View Single Post

Old 07-24-2016, 07:17 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,600 Times in 8,584 Posts

The main purpose of keeping heirlooms is not as much for the present family, as it is for future generations to have a piece of family history.

We don't know what genes the future generations will have inherited, but eventually someone will have the genes to really appreciate the old family firearm and love shooting it, teaching their kids firearm safety, and teaching them how to shoot.

About 20 years ago my dad gave me my grandfather's .32 Hand Ejector that he bought new in 1913. It sat for over 70 years in its box until then.

My dad nor my uncles had any interest in it but hung on to it instead of selling it off for a few measly dollars. I alone had the genes and the passion to appreciate it and the provenance history that came with it. Not unlike that which I have for my grandfather's gold pocket watch or my wife has for her mother's jewelry. My kids and grandkids learned to shoot with it. It began a monumental interest in S&W collecting and shooting for me that my sons and daughter will carry on. To us it's priceless and will be passed down and shared thru future generations.

It's the top gun on the left with some of my other 32 S&Ws:

S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 07-24-2016 at 07:18 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: