View Single Post

Old 07-28-2016, 06:18 PM

Liked 736 Times in 398 Posts

I have no experience with the Lyman offerings, but a fair amount of experience with the RCBS Chargemaster. When I became concerned about its precision, I bought a "lab grade" scale at around twice the price.

The Chargemaster would throw the charge and I would correct it as/if necessary on the FX120i. As a result I had re-weighed a couple of thousand Chargemaster throws so I had a clear idea just how imprecise it was. So then I ran some specific tests which were detailed in the thread RCBS Chargemaster vs FX120i.

I want to emphasize this is MY Chargemaster in MY house. (OTOH, the price point of these devices requires the use of a strain gauge scale which is where the majority of the issues come from.)

In any case, it did not perform well enough for precision rifle reloading. And it is clearly far too slow for handgun reloading and no more precise than a good PM especially when the powder is a "good metering" ball or flake powder.

Where it shines is allowing quick changes of the target weight which is very useful during load development . . . if you can live with its variability.