View Single Post

Old 07-29-2016, 12:44 PM

Liked 118 Times in 54 Posts

I wouldn't discard using exclusively 38 and 38 special +p in a J frame snub nose. Sure 357 is going to give you greater velocities but it will be at the cost of greater recoil and slower follow up shots. I'm not talking through experience because I have never fired 357 out of a snub nose. I have however shot some very potent 38 spl +p rounds (BB 158 +p) through my 642. It was not fun at all. I'm not recoil shy at all and I actually like hot loads. Once at the range I shot 100 plinking rounds out of my 642, I then proceeded to fire 5 BB 158 +P rounds. I didn't think it was all that bad until I looked down and observed blood splatter on my gun. I then looked at my hand and I had split the skin around the webbing of my thumb and index finger. A week later after I healed, I went back to the range and shot 150 plinking rounds and several other +p carry rounds other then BB and did not have that problem.

What I'm trying to say is, don't worry too much about having the ability to fire 357 or not when picking out a J frame. For its intended use, I'd stick with 38 and call it a day.

Last edited by GA_Sheepdog; 07-29-2016 at 12:45 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: