View Single Post

Old 07-29-2016, 03:58 PM

Liked 164 Times in 66 Posts

Well folks, here's my PPC (I think?) 10-7. I actually picked this up from the used gun room at Cabela's. I didn't quite get the screaming deal some of you guys did but I feel like I did okay.

I have no idea who built it or what year it's from. I found out after I purchased it that it came in as part of an estate sale and (supposedly) it won two state championships in CA. Who knows.

Here's what I know:
- Bull barrel of some sort
- Aristocrat underlug
- Aristocrat sight rail
- Aristocrat (I think) ejector collar
- Action job: trigger pull is about 7.10 DA and 3.5 SA and there's a soft-tipped stop screw in the trigger.
- It's more gun than I can handle, lol
- It looks like it was bead-blasted?

I actually picked this guy up with the intent of using it in ICORE. It's a little heavy for that purpose but I love shooting guns with a bit of history and soul. I've made a few teaks to make it run-n-gun friendly so I'll post new pics soon.

Here's what I'd like to know: (if anyone can help)
- Any guess at the vintage? Serial is 6D44970
- Think it was done by a known PPC smith or was it a garage gun? It's well-sorted either way, I'm just curious.
- How the hell do they get the action this light? There's definitely a custom rebound spring, but the mainspring is even lighter than a Wolffe Type 2 Power Rib when using the same strain screw.
- There's a sharp little pokey bit that sticks out of the front of the crane. Is that added to interact with the underlug somehow? I don't remember seeing it on other Smiths.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: