View Single Post

Old 07-31-2016, 08:56 PM

Liked 69 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou1954 View Post
No intent to disagree or offend anyone, but as a simple hobby and self-defense shooter, I wonder why the AR-15 and similar rifles have such attraction.

I grew up using a rifle from age 12 or so but no longer hunt, and now at age 84 will probably not go hunting again. If I did I would choose what I call a "conventional" rifle style.

I was on the University of Oklahoma NROTC Rifle Team* and we won most of our matches, even beating the Texas schools. It was fun at the time but I have no desire to take a rifle to a gun range.

Why are those AR and similar style rifles so popular or attractive?

*As a footnote, my first pistol experience came during those days. Team members could check out .22 cal versions of the 1911 on weekends (free ammunition) and shoot all we wanted, usually getting mistletoe from the trees. [We did have to "Qualify" with the .45, using cotton in our ears, and did carry a .45 on active duty but that was the extent of it. Now I have some pistols and enjoy shooting, but have sold all our rifles.]
' I wonder why the AR-15 and similar rifles have such attraction.' I don't wonder - if some people want them, they have a right to have them. Period.