Thread: Rimfire Rifles
View Single Post

Old 08-05-2016, 12:19 PM

Liked 3,702 Times in 1,242 Posts
Default J.C. Higgins 44DL-AKA Marlin Model 57 LeverMatic

There are quite a few great .22 lever action rifles, the Winchester 94/22, Browning BL-22, Marlin 39A, the Henry .22 however none of those can boast the 22 degree lever throw of the late, great Marlin 'LeverMatic' models 56 (box mag) and 57 (tube mag).
These overbuilt, adult size and weight rifles were eventually chambered the .22 WMR, .356 Winchester and .30 Carbine. The centerfire versions are rare and very expensive as the standard .22 LR models are fetching $350 to $550 when they pop up online.

Several years ago, I happened upon a rather homely looking example of this fine rifle in the form of the J.C. Higgins Model 44DL at my favorite gun store. The finish was peeling from the walnut stock like skin after a bad sunburn. The rear sight was damaged and the bluing looked a bit splotchy. Her action was slick and the bore looked fine so I asked for his best deal on the gun. $115 out the door, tax and all.
One trip to the range was all it took for me to realize the Levermatic is a keeper. Typical Marlin accuracy with blazing lever speed, nearly as fast as my 10/22 since you just flick the lever with you bottom two fingers. A good detailing of the metal and strip/oil refinish of the stock was definitely in order.
The finished rifle is pictured below. Forgive the ugly scope mounts.

Last edited by steamloco76; 08-05-2016 at 12:20 PM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: