View Single Post

Old 08-06-2016, 06:54 PM

Liked 2,523 Times in 797 Posts

Back in the 90s I had a Russian visa in my diplomatic passport so I did several INF support missions into Moscow bringing the inspectors in or taking them out. Getting ready to leave Moscow, I was coming forward after checking the pressure door at the rear of the plane and one of the treaty inspectors was handing out the replica USMC Kabar knives, still in the boxes, to all the other inspectors. He said he had brought them into country to use as trading material, but the KGB Border Guards had confiscated them on his arrival. They returned them to him on his way out of the country and as I passed by he handed one to me. I carried it on overseas missions frequently after that, including during the Gulf War. Even though it's not an era Kabar, it's no less stout.

EDIT to add: We had a crewrest in Saudi during the Gulf war; we were staying in those K-span shelters with the most serious air conditioning I've ever experienced. It was 110 outside and like 50 inside. So most of us were hanging out in the doorway trying to get the mix right. I saw a 4x4 post about 3' long on the ground nearby and used the Kabar to whittle it into a crude baseball bat. I then proceeded to hit rocks over the compound wall with it until it [the bat, not the wall] finally broke.

Last edited by Mainsail; 08-06-2016 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Clarify
The Following 5 Users Like Post: