Thread: Shield .45
View Single Post

Old 08-09-2016, 05:14 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi guys, my first post...
My birthday was Aug 1st , so I ordered myself a M&P 45 Shield, no safety, from an online dealer in Phoenix, AZ for $414, and shipped free to my FFL. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet but I have thoroughly cleaned it, oiled it, and worked the action by hand about 200 times to loosen it up some.
I love the looks and feel of the gun - except for the overly agressive grip surface. I saw where someone here sanded it with 400 grit paper, but I decided to add a full size, universal Hogue Handall slip on grip sleeve. I did have to trim the sleeve some and it fits pretty well except for being a little wide, front to back, at the bottom of the grip, but not too bad. The sleeve also adds a palm swell that I personally like.
This is my first S&W pistol (I have mostly Rugers) and I really had to search to even find the 45 shield, especially without the external safety. I really didn't realize that they were just released, so that, and the demand, has created a real shortage right now it seems. It does seem that there are a few available with the safety, but they don't really too last long.
I'd be interested in knowing if any other M&P 45 mags will fit the shield. For the range, I wish I could get a 14 rounder like the standard M&P uses. Being new to S&W M&Ps, will it fit? Length hang out wouldn't bother me.
Holsters are pretty rare, and especially a LH one, but I did find this, and ordered it. It comes tomorrow...

I've also ordered more range ammo and SD ammo.

More later after a trip to the range, maybe next week.

Last edited by foxtail207; 08-09-2016 at 05:17 PM.