View Single Post

Old 08-13-2016, 12:25 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,316 Times in 1,938 Posts

Told this story before. It's Fall 1970, I'm serving out my hitch at Indiantown Gap Military Res. which is a Reserve/NG training center. Pulling black helmet liner duty on night shift, (7p-7a). A green VW bug with four girls flags me down, asks about a unit from Philly. I tell them where the unit is, give directions. They head over there, I continue patrol. Fast forward to about 2330. Get a report from the on-post pizza joint, a unit's giving their guy a bad time. Yours truly gets the run. Turns out it's the same Philly unit I'd directed the girls to earlier. I roll up, all the lights are on, a lot of activity for that time of night. I call for back-up, when it gets there, we move in. These are WWII era barracks. All the bunks, foot & wall lockers are moved out. The place was decorated for a Halloween party. And right there in the middle of the floor was the green VW I'd encountered earlier. The double service doors were removed, used as ramps. There was booze and unsecured weapons all over the place. Several guys were upstairs, sleeping it off. We collected everything including the drunks and the girls who finally came out of hiding. The girl who owned the car was married, but not to anyone at the party. I expect she had some splainin to do when she got home. I thought it was a hoot till, as the first on the scene, I had to make out a pile of reports. It would've been a primo opportunity to abscond with an M1 Garand and/or a 1911, but being the good cop I was, they were all turned in and documented.

Last edited by Donn; 08-13-2016 at 12:33 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: