View Single Post

Old 08-13-2016, 01:36 PM

Liked 1,923 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.b View Post
This afternoon I got a call from a LGS friend of mine. He had just taken in a "well used" Smith and Wesson 28-2. He generally knows that I am interested in older Smiths and sometimes Colts, and asked if I would like to see it. Well, I drove over and it was by no means pristine, but not abused in anyway. It came with an older tan Smith and Wesson holster, marked 21 and 34, and a cartridge belt made by the "Idaho Leather Co.", of Boise Idaho, item #162, and a box of 38 spls, a brand new Safariland cleaning kit, and a bottle of Hoppes No 9.

Here it is as I first saw it:

Anyway, he was asking $525 (plus we have a 6% tax here), for the whole deal, and I frankly told him that I thought that was a little high, and that I wasn't really in the market for another N frame anyway. But I had just read a couple of threads on the forum about Highway Patrolmen that folks either wanted, or had just bought, and I was interested.

After we dickered a little, I told him I would give him $475.00 for the whole package, if he would pay the tax. He agreed, and it followed me home. Everything is tight on this revolver. No push-off, no end shake, all 6 chambers are timed perfectly, and the stocks number to the gun. Trigger pull in both single and double action are great, and it looks like one of those revolvers that have been carried a lot, and shot not so much. Bore and chambers are pristine.

Here is another shot of it. At this point, I have not even wiped the gun down, let alone cleaned it:

After I clean it up, and shoot it a little, I'll post some more pictures.

Anyway, here is my question: did I pay too much? I figure that the tax, holster, belt, ammo, cleaning kit, and Hoppes are probably about $75.00, so I have around $400. In the gun itself.

Let me know what you think, and I'll get back with some more photos after I give it a gentle cleaning with a little extra fine bronze wool and oil.

By the way, all of my reference material is at the office. The serial number is N7954. Can anyone give me a rough ship date on this?

Thanks for looking....

Best Regards, Les
Why is everyone obsessed(dare I say neurotic) with this notion of paying too much,and worrying about it after the fact.You wanted it,you negotiated for it,and you paid the number.I think that makes it worth it to you,unless you're looking to flip it tomorrow.....No one held a gun to your head.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: