Thread: Shield .45
View Single Post

Old 08-14-2016, 09:28 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

My first shooting experience with the .45 Shield involved 100 WWWB FMJ rounds. I had zero feed or function problems at all. However, using my Uplula loader, I did have some issues reloading magazines. I found that the clearance inside the Shield mags is minimal for the size of the round. My Uplula was found to be slightly moving each round a tiny bit forward so that the tip of the bullet was either rubbing against the inside of the mag or slightly sticking out beyond the front wall of the mag. That would result in the round tipping downward at the rear when pressing the loader down to load the next round. I could press that top round to the back side of the mad and then would have no problem. I began to hold the loaded round in place against the back side of the mad as I released the tongue on the loader for the next round. I also made certain after loading each mag thereafter to smack the mag against my palm to fully seat all rounds to the rear wall of the mag. After making this change, I had no more issues with loading the mags. I have not tried any other brands or styles of ammo as yet, but I expect to remedy that situation sometime this coming week. I would say that any round loaded to any longer OAL than the WWWB loads might have issues fitting in these magazines. I'm doubting this would be the case with any premium HP loading for the caliber.

I was extremely pleased with the way my example of the .45 Shield fired and functioned. For me, the recoil was entirely tolerable and no issue. Shot to shot recovery was good. The grip surface allowed complete control of the weapon during firing and at the same time caused no discomfort whatsoever during the hundred rounds, even with a couple mags fired at maximum speed. At this point, I am entirely pleased with this weapon platform. I shoot it as well or better than the same platform in 9MM and do not detect much if any difference in my ability to fire either one as accurately as my old eyes and diminishing skills will allow. I intend to shoot both calibers together next outing to see if I can tell any difference in perceived recoil at that time. Physics is physics, and I'm sure that the .45 probably gives more calculated recoil than the 9, but as far as the way the .45 handles recoil in my hands, I find nothing objectable at all with it. It's a great shooter, and I believe it will be a great EDC if one wishes to carry the .45. I personally am very comfortable carrying either one for EDC and believe they will both do the job well with good anti-personnnel rounds loaded as long as either round is delivered to the place where they can each likely do the most damage. I like the Shield .45 and look forward to getting even better acquainted with mine!