View Single Post

Old 08-22-2016, 08:02 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,891 Times in 2,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
Thanks for the info on the Sandford book. I enjoy those. What's the title of this one? Is it a Lucas Davenport book or about Vrgil Flowers?

Have you read Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm series of spy thrillers? Matt liked a prewar Colt Woodsman .22 for killing people until his agency told him to start carrying S&W snub .38's. Initially a Bodyguard, then a Model 60. Matt did still sometimes use a Hi-Standard on rarer occasions. But he was usually tying to assassinate enemy spies, not doing defensive shooting. He said once that it took awhile for a man who was knifed to die, so you had to stay out of reach.

The author was also a writer for gun and hunting title, inc., "Gun Digest." He knew more about guns than did almost all other thriller writers. But Sandford hunts and knows some things about guns, despite being a MN liberal journalist before becoming an author.

Thomas Harris also knows guns, based on his books.

An unsuspecting, adrenalized man can often be dropped easily with a .22. Witness Hinckley's shooting of Reagan and James Baker. Similar hits on a violent felon who may be on drugs amy not work as well.

I favor HP's and head shots with .22's, even on squirrels. I think the .22 is marginal on woodchucks, porcupines, and even big jackrabbits, certainly on coyotes, bobcats, and raccoons.

I liked the idea of S&W's M-34 Kit Gun .22, but sold mine after it exhibited VERY poor extraction. On reflection, I decided that it lacked power for the intended role, and replaced it with a M-60-4 .38.

The late gun writer Don Zutz chronographed some .22 ammo out of a Kit Gun, and the velocity was much lower than expected. Autos lack the barrel/cylinder gap and give better velocity. But a .22 is marginal on animals of any size. Jeff Cooper found his .38 Super okay on western marmots, but I think he used JHP bullets, and he also used a .357 a lot. I doubt that he'd have relied on a .22 in that role.
Lucas Davenport. The latest Prey novel. I mix up the titles since they all have Prey in them. It's about a hit on a presidential nominee. Sandford is great. The Virgil Flowers books are great, but Lucas Davenport has gotta be the coolest cop there ever was. He was much cooler before he married Weather, but he's still got it. I used to work with this retired FBI guy who reminds me of Davenport.
The Following User Likes This Post: