View Single Post

Old 08-30-2016, 10:22 PM

Liked 177 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge View Post
Mag capacity is NJ is 15. Three types of projectiles are NJSP allowed. Hornady Critical Defense, Federal FMJE, and PowRball. I hear you regarding being on the safe side but LEOSA doesn't exempt retiree's from local magazine restrictions. No Copper worth his or her salt should bother you but if you have to become involved it will not be the street Policeman who looks into that sort of thing. Just my thoughts for what they are worth.
The bolded part is key here. It's the DA that will be prosecuting.

LEOSA indeed covers ammo (HP-it was a revision to the law), but still does NOT cover mags.

The Mass law quoted above is misleading for retirees and that is a gray area. I've discussed this at length multiple times with the Director of the Firearms Records Bureau and her Legal Counsel. The problem is that it is worded (for retirees) as if a PD gifted the gun/mags to the retired officer. Well ever since the Ethics Commission was formed, it is illegal for gov't to gift anything to a retiree or for a LEO to accept gifts in this state. There have been a few requests (MCOPA I believe and myself to the Senate Chair of the Jt. Committee on Public Safety) to revise the wording to do as it was intended, but no action on this to date.

Sadly MA gun law is my expertise (but IANAL) so I follow this convoluted stuff.