View Single Post

Old 09-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Banned

Liked 22,838 Times in 10,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
"I had a "Frankenstein" carbine once."

Assuming you mean a Carbine with mixed parts, most of them are, and even more are not original WWII manufacture. A few makers of carbines during WWII were mainly assemblers of parts from other makers, and the great majority of WWII carbines were completely overhauled after WWII with new sights and bayonet lugs added, and often new stocks. The Army was not concerned about keeping parts together during overhaul. Occasionally one runs across a "duffel bag special" from WWII which is completely original, and those are rarities.

An interesting aside, most of the carbines arsenal-overhauled after WWII were "mothballed" by sealing 20 at a time in large metal cans. Can you imagine the value of a sealed storage can full of carbines were one to turn up today?
Mine was an Iver-Johnson??? had a bayonet lug and a few other military parts-the rest-not mil. I had to sell it shortly after I got it-to help a bit with expenses due to dad's funeral. I was able to take it out a few times before it had to be sold. I knew why my dad liked them so much, I fell in love with the: "Bride of Frankenstein."
The Following User Likes This Post: