View Single Post

Old 09-28-2016, 07:15 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,610 Times in 6,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecoyote View Post
Paladin I'm hoping you have more photos. Don't be holding out.
Due to my computer having a hard drive crash with few photos backed up, I don't have many photos quickly available, except for being on the original camera memory cards. Here are a few I've salvaged.

Here is a photo of the old Bisbee High School, where my mother graduated in 1929 at the age of 17. She is the lady in the dark pants waving her cap in the group of people at its base - we were celebrating her 90th birthday in 2002. This high school made it to some notoriety by each of its 3 stories having entrances at ground level - it was built on the side of a hill. It's no longer an active school; it now houses administrative offices for Cochise County.

This is me in 2002 sitting in the very same ancient fire engine (1938) upon which I once sat with my grandfather around 1943. It was custom made to be not very wide so as to negotiate Bisbee's winding tight streets.

Here's a shot of the Post office/Library where my grandfather had a PO box, and where my mother studied as a girl. The red fire plug saved the building from a disastrous fire in 1908.

Ominous monsoon clouds over the old bank building on main street.

Fire in the sky over main street at sundown.

A view of the Copper Queen Hotel, the longest continuously-operated hotel in Arizona (since 1901).

Birds flocked to roost at sundown in front of the Copper Queen.

This is the grave of Captain Harry Wheeler, who held every position in the Arizona Rangers at the turn of the 20th Century. He also became sheriff of Cochise County. The gun, a 1903 Colt automatic, once belonged to him, and was probably carried by him during WWI in France, when he was a captain in the Army. The repro badges represent him as Captain of the Arizona Rangers and as Sheriff of the county. This grave is about 30 yards from the grave of my maternal grandfather and grandmother, in Bisbee's Evergreen Cemetery.

This is an overview of Bisbee's Main Street plaza. The PO/Library on the left, the old building that used to house the Bank of Bisbee in the center, and the old Phelps Dodge Mercantile building on the right. It was built in 1939 to replace the original, which burned to the ground in 1938. A young fella named Del Webb had this as one of his early projects. He later became famous building retirement suburbs west of Phoenix. Above it on the far right is a partial view of the Copper Queen Hotel. The dark brown building to the rear of the bank now houses some lawyers' offices - I'm not sure of its original purpose.

Hope these will be found of interest.

John

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 09-28-2016 at 07:56 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: