View Single Post

Old 10-23-2016, 04:26 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,581 Times in 6,027 Posts

I've got all of the earlier Ruger .22 pistols, but no Mark IV (yet). In my opinion, the perfect ones were the Mark IIs. No more difficult to disassemble/reassemble than the earlier Standards and Mark Is, yet the fact that the bolt locked back after the last shot in the magazine made it perfect - everything you needed and nothing that you didn't.

The Mark IIIs were a witch with a capital "B." There was no earthly need for a magazine disconnect, because it unduly complicated the disassembly and reassembly procedure. Even grade school children are taught that proper unloading of a semiauto means removing the magazine first, and then emptying the chamber. If you do not understand that, you have no business handling a semiauto pistol, mag safety or not. The loaded chamber indicator just added another complication and manufacturing expense. I see Ruger dispensed with it on the Mark IV. If you really want to know if the chamber is loaded, just pull the bolt back a bit and LOOK. The addition of a side-mounted mag release on the Mark III was not required on a sporting or target firearm - no need for quick magazine changes unless you were being attacked by a herd of angry jackrabbits.

The Mark IIIs were designed by a committee composed largely or exclusively of nervous-Nelly company lawyers. I think Ruger finally realized that mistake and sought to correct it.

The Mark IVs are probably a mechanical improvement over the IIIs, but the gun looks like a cross between an antique break-action Smith and a modern pistol. The svelt lines of the original pistol were regretfully really disturbed. My sense of esthetics is also offended.

Just the opinions of a grumpy old man, I suppose.

John

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 10-23-2016 at 04:37 PM.
The Following 10 Users Like Post: