View Single Post

Old 10-29-2016, 11:42 AM

Liked 4,295 Times in 1,611 Posts

Having owned near a dozen 10/22's (and still keeping a couple) I'll offer this.
They are very good guns out of the box. Inexpensive, reliable and reasonably accurate. They are NOT however tack drivers in the carbine version. They aren't design to be. The blessing and the curse for the 10/22 is the availability of drop in aftermarket accessories available. (Stocks, barrels, action parts, machined trigger groups......) It's a rare person that buys a 10/22 carbine and has the willpower to leave it alone. ( There are whole websites dedicated to these fallen folks.) It's REAL easy to get sucked into dumping hundreds of dollars into the gun to make it a tack driver. In the end, you end up with a $800 10/22 that may or (often) may not meet your expectations. I know, I've done it three times and never had a gun that was worth what I put into it. I'm a slow learner.
Personally, I'd advise that if you insist on a 10/22, go with one of the models that is upscale enough so that you won't get tempted (as badly) to lay into it. Maybe one with graceful lines an better sights as CajunBass shows above ( They made it as late as two years ago as the 50th anniversary model, BTW.) . If not that maybe a take down model, deluxe stocked or factory target.
Enough said, back to therapy for me.

ps. If you want a tack driver out of the box, buy a CZ bolt action

Last edited by Wee Hooker; 10-29-2016 at 11:55 AM.