Thread: Shield 45 issue
View Single Post

Old 10-29-2016, 01:02 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

Once again, I caution all of us to smack our .45 Shields on our palms to make certain that the rounds are all seated as far back against the rear side of the magazine as possible before loading and shooting. In some cases, this may have to be done as we are loading the mags to prevent the bullet tips from touching the front wall of the mag and tipping the rounds as they move downward.

The tolerance for the rounds inside these mags is really tight, I'm sure in order to allow the mag to fit inside the grip area available to keep this platform as small as possible. Different brands of ammo are or may be loaded to slightly different over-all length. Bullet construction is slightly different between brands. Some bullet profiles are a tiny bit longer than others.

I have not had this issue, but it is my practice to smack every loaded magazine against my other hand to fully seat the rounds against the rear portion of the magazine. I am NOT saying there is not a problem with the guns as reported in this thread, but I am saying that I think it is important to do what I have suggested so that a round travelling upward in the mag during shooting does not bind on the front of the magazine and slow it's travel upward. I present this just in case it might be helpful to any or all of us. It has been helpful for me. Take a look at your loaded rounds in the mag. Even after it is certain they are resting against the rear of the mag, there is very little room between bullet tips and the front of the mag. Again, I have not seen the problem described here. But anything that hinders the movement of the rounds inside the magazine can certainly be a problem. I just want all to be aware of this possibility!