View Single Post

Old 11-03-2016, 10:11 AM

Liked 19,901 Times in 8,800 Posts
Default Invited to an "Outing" not Golf but a "Shooting Outing"

Was invited by a major financial corp to lunch and a "shooting outing"....about a fifteen to eighteen clients and five "bankers".

Its been at least a decade since I shot at a "public range" or with non-competitive shooters.......mostly shoot alone or with a some buddies who all have shot PPC,IDPA and USPSA

Lunch at a local restaurant and then off to a nearby indoor range. About 2/3rds of the folks brought their own guns.... one guy must have brought 5 or 6.

Guns for rent were 80% fantastic plastic.... run of the mill stuff. They did have a .22 with a suppressor but w/ a dozen shooters didn't see the point.

Most of the privately owned guns were auto's and most "plastic" and striker fired.................

Revolvers...... saw a Smith 442 and a 10 shot 6" 617..... and my 4" 27-2 (got it about two months ago and had not shot it) and my 4" early 617. I took revolvers as I hate flying brass in a crowded range......

Interesting observations:

Had forgotten about the "concussion" at in indoor block walled range

Range allowed the use of a AR (5.56) and 12 gauge w/ slugs

I was the only one to run my targets to the backstop ..... 20yds ?...... all others were shooting at 4-7yds......including the AR and 12 gauge.

Groups.... there were a few...... but not many....... 2/3 of the group rated themselves as experienced shooters.....at 21 ft most shooters were all over a 2x4 silhouette target. I noticed one husband and wife couple had nice 4-6inch groups......then saw them run new targets out to about 15 ft.

only one "nubie".....oh ya.. there were 6 women shooters.

Had to use "range ammo" so the 27 was shooting slightly left..... but did get CCI for the 617 which is what its sighted in for.

The 27 was fun.... but I prefer a L-frame ..... and LOL can't shoot DA with a Target Trigger......

Shot 100rds of .22 and 100 .38s....fun afternoon.

But at 63 and cataract surgery.......have to admit eyes/vision is becoming an issue....20 years ago I could qualify at 100% with a fist size group shooting DA out to 25yds (SA at 50).....I think those days are history.....can still do head shots at 25 but the groups are more like 6-8 inches..... Oh well there's always "center of mass".

Bottom line; good time was had by all.......most took the opportunity to put 10-20 rounds from the AR ....... and "1" from the 12 gauge!!!....everyone left with a smile on their face..... and a promise to come back next year.

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 11-03-2016 at 12:28 PM.
The Following 16 Users Like Post: