View Single Post

Old 11-13-2016, 01:55 PM

Liked 2,493 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC38 View Post
WOW, impressive difference!
Just curious, where do you get reloading data for those powders for the 44 magnum? I'm not seeing any in the IMR or Alliant online reloading manuals...
Went off the reservation with these loads. But felt confident enough after finding a 44-40 load in the Lee manual that used 4198, IIRC.

If unburned powder bothers you, stay away! Or if using mass quantities (relative to most handgun loads) of powder hurts your wallet's feelings, this type of load probably won't make you happy.

But the upsides outweigh the negatives for me. Excellent accuracy with cheap swaged lead bullets out to 150m. 200m if the wind isn't too bad. No worries about fouling out and losing accuracy in the middle of a match. Easy on the revolver, I think, too. Especially in the forcing cone and rifling origin area due to the low temp flame front. (Remember: lots of unburnt powder?)

AND, no worries about powder position sensitivity! Because the case is full, it doesn't shift. A HUGE gremlin when shooting 75 yards and further. Had lots of "mystery misses" high or low until that factor was discovered. Probably the real reason this experiment was finally started. (Slow brain today!)

Last edited by jaymoore; 11-13-2016 at 02:03 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: