View Single Post

Old 11-24-2016, 12:47 AM

Liked 4,950 Times in 1,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
Who was Rene Randall Keith? Part of the name is cut off on the headstone pic.

I met Lorraine Keith and Elmer in Dallas in the 1970's, when Elmer addressed an audience of his fans at a hotel. They seemed an affectionate couple. I later met Elmer at the 1979 SHOT show and we had breakfast together courtesy of the Winchester PR man. John Falk was a fine PR guy for the firm in Olin days. That press breakfast was probably the best I ever had. It was in San Antonio and the buffet included a lot of fresh fruit as well as the usual items.

Elmer poured scotch in his tea. Said he picked up the habit from his white hunter in Africa, I think John Lawrence. Many of the older gun writers drank a lot, including Elmer.

He recalled me from our earlier meeting and asked if I'd like to join him. He was very cordial on both occasions, and I got to see him shoot at the Winchester gun range in Dallas. I don't doubt that he performed all the shooting that he mentioned. My only reservation is that famed 600 yard shot on the mule deer with a S&W M-29. But I think he believed that he hit the deer at that distance. I think it more probably succumbed to shots at closer range and to a hit from a .300 H&H rifle.

Anyone interested in guns should have his books, Sixguns and, Shotguns. His other books were good, too, but those are justifiably classics.
I was at the same event...it was the night of my Dallas PD Academy class graduation party but my wife and I elected to go see the presentation and get to the party late.

We got there early and spotted Elmer wondering around alone. Apparently everyone was so in awe of the man no one approached him to talk. Finally we did and had him just about to ourselves till just before the presentation started. His wife came up during the conversation. She seemed a very nice person... He signed my two books, Keith, An Autobiography and SIXGUNS which I still have..

I was in Salmon in 2014 and saw some of his items in the Salmon Museum but never thought to ask where his house or gravesite were...

Thanks for posting...Bob

Last edited by SuperMan; 11-24-2016 at 12:51 AM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: