View Single Post

Old 12-01-2016, 12:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default .38 s&w victory and 9mm

Hi Guys, Interesting stuff on this site. I have a bring back wwii model 10. I will check to see if it is a Victory on the serial number. My dad was 101st airborne and did a battlefield trade for this from a guy who had picked it up off of a dead German. According to the marks it would have probably been originally carried by a British officer. Dad traded a Belgian .32 auto for it - so a Browning I think.

Mine is .38 s&w though 30 year ago when I wanted to shoot it, I told the gun shop what I had and they sold me .38 special. Of course it did not fit. They did take it back and I began searching for .38 s&w and found 2 boxes of Winchester.

Anyway, I can guarantee you, because I was told, that my dad had taken 9mm ammo while in Germany/France. He told me the he and the guys would take a wire cutter (he as a lineman) and put a little crimp in the case rim so that the ejector would grab it and push the spent brass out. I would wonder what the real pressures would have been throwing that .355" bullet down a .361" barrel. Probably not great accuracy, but not likely generating the kind of pressure a 9mm would generate in a 9mm pistol, but that's a guess. Being into reloading, I kind of cringe what dad did at 21, but oh well.

So has it been done, definitely, but I would not do it, though I came close to trying it before I got into reloading. It has been refinished and re-blued. I do remember when he did that in about 1972 or there about. It seems to me that he said the grips were cracked, so the smooth grips were installed. Not sure if it was Parkerized originally or not. I just can't remember that.