View Single Post

Old 12-04-2016, 02:28 PM

Liked 281 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowe View Post
How can you beg to differ with your own estimate of a 40% value loss by re-chambering?? $600 is optimistic for a caliber modified S&W unless you do all you shopping on GB. Even at that amount, I will still call a nice re-chambered 455 HE as having little value when compared to a nice original gun. An original S&W N frame in nice condition will sell for over over $1000 if original, and $500 if re-chambered. That would be a gun that is worth only 50% of what it would be if orginal.
Its all word play it seems but the big difference I believe you are failing to account for is the historical undercurrent of the particular firearm in question. Wartime used firearms, regardless of a caliber modification, are in a slightly different ballpark than a commercial firearm regardless of whether we are speaking of Smith and Wessons, Colts or anything for that matter.

When one says "little value" it invokes an image of a $200 or less gun, at least based on my opinion. Similar to say a old H&R or Iver Johson top break. I think it paints an inaccurate picture of the value of these .455 WW1 used revolvers. Does cylinder modifications hurt the value: Yes, most certainly but it doesn`t instantly evaporate all said value from the firearm.

But in the end that is my opinion, I let the market decide.