View Single Post

Old 12-04-2016, 05:51 PM

Liked 4,882 Times in 1,399 Posts

I acquired my first pre 64', a standard 30.06 several years ago and it is still my No. 1 deer rifle. The original stock had been sanded, varnished and looked like an 8th grade wood shop project.

The stock from that rifle and the stock on the second pre 64 that I acquired were "reconditioned" by a professional. They turned out great but the one on the 30.06 was always a "little thin" around the receiver area.

One night, after returning from dropping a deer off at the processor, i pulled the rifle case out of the back seat and slung the strap of the case over my shoulder. Some IDIOT had forgotten to zip the case completely shut and the rifle slid out and the toe of the stock hit the concrete garage floor shearing off a nice long triangular piece.

I was able to have it repaired, again by a professional, and decided to obtain a Bell & Carlson stock to use while hunting. My rifle smith bedded the action for me and incredibly, the rifle shoots the same 3/4" groups at 100 yards that it did in the wood stock that was not bedded. This rifle has always been extremely accurate and loves Nosler 165 grain partition bullets over an appropriate amount of IMR 4064.

Attached is a photo of the rifle and this year's first deer, taken on Nov. 20.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8pt.jpg (177.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by jdlii; 11-29-2017 at 01:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: