View Single Post

Old 12-06-2016, 07:58 AM

Liked 171 Times in 49 Posts

Just bought a new rollmark Series 70 Colt 1911, specifically for the purpose of building a full house custom. But once I received it, stripped it down and took a really close look, I was blown away by its quality, fit and finish. Even the trigger pull is first rate. Now I'm radically rethinking exactly what I intend to modify. I'll shoot is first to see how accurate it is and probably let that set the tone of the build.

After a lot of thought and research, I've decided on a "retro" build primarily using Harrison Design parts and an Ed Brown "drop in" match barrel/bushing/.278" link. I've decided NOT to tighten the slide to the frame since this gun's dimensions appear very good as they are. Not match tight but not a rattle battle either. The Brown barrel has a reputation of nicely closing up tolerances in unmodified guns, but if oversized, not requiring a whole lot of work to fit properly. The Harrison Design parts include: retro rear sight, semi-patridge serrated pin in front sight, black long trigger, recoil spring guide, extreme service thumb safety, plunger tube and slide stop, "retro" ignition set (spur hammer/sear/disconnector) and extended magazine release. In addition I'm going to fit an ISMI 18# recoil spring and a Colt Gold Cup serrated main spring housing (assuming it fits well enough to satisfy my rather picky gunsmith). His labor will include: serrating the front strap to match the MSH, a very subtle dehorn to remove all sharp edges, blending the rear of the slide to the rear of the frame once the barrel is fit, a subtle bead blast blue to match the finish on the Harrison Design parts, blue the hammer/sear/disconnector, and polish the slide flats and the sides of the hammer for a subtle brushed look. I'm keeping the dimensions of the frame unchanged (no high grip front strap) and the original grip safety is retained as are the original grips. Pictures will be posted once the build is complete, somewhere around the first week of January 2017.

Keith

Last edited by keithherrington; 12-14-2016 at 08:54 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: