View Single Post

Old 12-08-2016, 02:43 PM

Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechef1 View Post
Interested to see how other people feel about training at the range by themselves vs with a shooting buddy or two. Im fortunate to live in an area where I can train by myself if I want to or can have a bay to share with a couple of partners. I used to shoot alone pretty often but have been shooting with a friend lately, problem is I feel sometimes having someone else can be distracting and less disciplined. We either start to shoot the **** or just start wasting ammo and tie on nonsense shooting vs actual drills. At the same time it can be beneficial to have someone else to compete against especially since we are of similar skill. So how do you guys like to train. Oh and by training I'm talking about for competitive shooting I recently started shooting 3 gun and USPSA.
Multiple different ascpects are being addressed here, IMHO. Palling around is one thing.. and more than acceptable. Training is another and equally valid.

When I shoot with someone else, we decide ahead of time what our purpose and goals for that session are beforehand. Usually we stick to them. Occasionally we don't. Life happens and I don't let shifts in purpose affect my enjoyment. But I will "reschedule" or make-up a training session by myself if my training goals weren't accomplished.

Best of all worlds, we both have fun and get the training in. It takes discipline and occasionally a gentle (or not so gentle) reminder of what our goals were when we first came out that day.