View Single Post

Old 12-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,548 Times in 2,081 Posts
Default Road Rage Shooting

Man Who Killed NFL Star Joe McKnight In Road Rage Attack Charged

By now, I'm sure you heard of the apparent road age shooting of NFL running back Joe McKnight, allegedly by an armed motorist who remained at the scene and surrendered a licensed handgun to police. The motorist has since been arrested on manslaughter charges.

In my own 54 years of driving, I think I've witnessed every conceivable driving outrage from obscene gestures, vehicles being used as weapons and every known form of reckless driving. I'll go so far as to admit that as a young man I would feel my blood boil at the antics I witnessed or were directed at me.

In those 54 driving years, almost all of it while armed, I'd like to offer a few observations. If you lawfully defend yourself in your home, place of business or when caught up in a sudden retail store robbery, you are at least on neutral legal ground and the authorities will likely view you as a victim. With road rage, as with those late-night shootings outside watering holes. so-called gentlemen' clubs or between people who know each other, authorities will view everyone with strong suspicion. Most states or municipalities expect you to retreat if you can do so with complete safety.

I'm speaking in generalities, I have no knowledge of the specific circumstances involved in McKnight's death. Because I'm frequently armed, I make every effort to avoid road rage incidents by not challenging other motorists. If a weaving motorist cuts in too close, I re-establish a safe distance between vehicles rather than attempt to pull alongside him to make an obscene gesture. I'll let the speed demons have the left lane, stay out of their way and just use it to pass. I won't race anyone to a parking spot or hit the brakes if you tailgate me. I won't take aggressive action against people driving half the speed limit.

If the driver in front of me has no reaction to the green light, I'll very lightly tap the horn rather than blare it for an interval, an action that most drivers would find to be aggressive and hostile.
If I signal to change lanes and the oncoming vehicle accelerates to prevent my lane change, I just let it go and take the next opportunity.

Having been in law enforcement for decades and having read thousands of use-of-force incidents, there are some compelling factors that people tend to overlook. If you're arrested, you're going to need an attorney. My guess is that his initial effort to just get you out on bail will run about $20,000.00. If you're charged, consider yourself fortunate if your lawyer's fees are under six figures.

If you face a criminal trial and are found found not guilty, your lawyer still gets paid. The municipality bringing the charges will not reimburse you for legal fees. If you're found guilty, you now have to consider how your family will support itself and make the mortgage payments with you in prison. You may have already taken a second mortgage on the house to pay legal fees.

Then, there's the matter of civil responsibility, whether you win or lose a criminal trial, or even if the grand jury votes a no true bill, you may still be sued civilly, requiring more lawyer's fees and the possibility of a heavy judgment against you. In a civil trail, the plaintiff need only present a preponderance of evidence rather than evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. Mainly for these reasons, it's easier and far less costly to swallow your pride and to not go tit-for-tat with another motorist.

A personal umbrella policy serves as an extension of your homeowners and automobile insurance. It will not cover shooting incidents unless it was purely accidental and in your home.

There are indeed some lunatics on the road. If you're certain you're being followed, either resulting from a road rage matter or you happen to be carrying you store's daily receipts, try to drive to a police station or somewhere that people are present. Don't drive home. Call 911 if you can. Keep your car moving. Do not ever pull over to confront a motorist. He may be faster, younger and a better shot than you are. If you're involved in a driving incident, don't assume it's over. He may be the tenacious type who demands his pound of flesh. He may be following you.

Some nuts don't wait. They will pull alongside and open fire on you. Such an incident occurred a few year ago on New York's Grand Central Parkway, near LaGuardia Int'l Airport. The gunman shot and killed the other motorist's wife in the passenger seat. I've also noticed that many suburban highway signs are riddled with bullet holes--more evidence that there are dangerous, thoughtless people on the road.

I'm all for concealed carry. I do it myself. But, I won't let the presence of my sidearm cause me to enter into a situation I could have easily walked or driven away from. I hope you feel the same.

Last edited by federali; 12-08-2016 at 06:43 PM.
The Following 49 Users Like Post: