View Single Post

Old 12-12-2016, 08:36 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,744 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman445 View Post
I like to have more than one wrench in my toolbox and I tend to mix and match revolvers and autos myself depending on the situation. These days I am carrying my Shostle Engraved nickel 29-2 as a belt gun on duty and a Kahr PM9 as a backup...and an NAA .22 mag in a pocket holster with my knife.

This thread reminds me of a time about 15 years ago when I was in my early 20`s and a guy I worked with who was about my age came to the office off duty and unarmed (shame on him). He decided he was going to go along to assist another deputy on something and wanted to borrow a gun. Naturally I had a spare in the car but when I handed him a model 28 Highway Patrolman and a couple speedloaders he grimaced and said with a straight face "No, I can`t carry no revolver..." That ranks right up there with one of the dumbest things I`ve ever heard to this day. (he finally decided that a sixgun was better than a nogun and took the 357)
Lawman445, That quote settles it for me! No more 637 in a Uncle Mikes cheapo.....I'm definitely dragging out my Shostle engraved 60 no dash as soon as I can find some "quality" leather. Seriously (at the risk of high jacking this thread) I would love to know if you ever did any research on your Ben Shostle gun. I am trying (with little results so far) to track down more info on this founder of FEGA, Master Engraver from Muncie Indiana. His daughter Donata is evidently still around but don't know if any old records were kept. I saw another Shostle engraved S&W on the I-net that had a certificate describing the work and the stocks signed and dated by Ben, but cannot get mine tracked very far. What are the stocks on yours (horn, antler?). The Rocky Mountain Big Horn Ram grips on mine are marked Ajax M-21, so I don't know if Ben Shostle ordered them for the engraving he did on commission, or someone added later, but they are solid, extremely well fitting (looks like hand work...no gaps anywhere).

So...........sorry for the thread drift, but if anyone has info on Ben Shostle or Ajax stocks (not the modern I-net site for Ajax...they are all faux stuff now), or even research info on horn vs. antler stock making the old way, I would appreciate some tips.
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following 2 Users Like Post: