View Single Post

Old 12-12-2016, 02:57 PM

Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Veteran View Post
Being left-handed, I'm aware of the lefty plight. Baseball gloves, golf clubs, even scissors! Fortunately, my right handed brother taught me to shoot when I was 10 and never even considered that I was left handed. Consequently, shooting is the only thing I do right handed. Just lucky I guess.

Took my 14 year old granddaughter to the range for the first time on Spring Break from school and started her with the Ruger Single Six, then went to the S&W Victory. Now get this - she is right handed, shoots with her right hand, BUT her left eye is dominant and that is the eye she uses to shoot. If I had to shoot with my left eye, I think I'd fall down!

Before anyone tells me I should be shooting with BOTH eyes open - I just can't do it with my old eyes. I see double images! It's fine with my red dot, but not with standard sights. The granddaughter can't do it either.
Hi I'm right-handed and left-eye dominant. The trick to shooting with both eyes open is to mask or flip a flippable eye patch over the non-dominant eye. You will not see double and the eyes will be both getting light. Less stress than winking (closing one eye). Now, I have a macular hole (it has been operated on and the hole is closed but my vision, from this dominant eye, is distorted. I am learning to shoot with my right-eye now.