View Single Post

Old 12-15-2016, 11:06 AM

Liked 3,352 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
Home defense shotgun should be cocked and locked.

Shotguns have notoriously low magazine capacity. Giving up say 20% of that capacity so you can make some noise doesn't work for me. The click of the safety coming off could scare them just as much.

Racking the slide is a gross motor skill. In deep stress, there is a good chance you will do it wrong.

My shotgun has an 8-round capacity, which I don't consider "low," especially when it comes to the amount of firepower it generates at close range using #4 shot. Furthermore, in a SHTF situation involving stress, repeated studies have shown that gross motor skills are much easier to perform than fine motor skills involving finger manipulation and coordination (opreating safeties, making magazine exchanges, pulling a trigger, etc.)

Bottom Line: Use whatever home defense system works best for you. That means drilling to build confidence and muscle memory with your chosen means of defense. If you use a tactical flashlight, whether in hand or firearm mounted, the best use is for a split second illumination to blind and disorient a subject, while you quickly identify the threat assessment. Never maintain a static position with an illuminated flashlight, unless you want to draw fire. The tactical use of a flashlight is meant to be a quick illumination, followed by an immediate movement to a physically different location without using illumination.