View Single Post

Old 12-19-2016, 10:16 AM

Liked 5,259 Times in 1,732 Posts

I want to be able if needed to make a precision aimed shot in the dead of night with whichever handgun I happen to be carrying. For me the problem always has been getting the right 'elevation' and not windage. I can do windage just fine. I can't always do elevation in sighting at night to my satisfaction. Trijicon night sights have solved that problem for me. The point was made and I want to second it that the problems that might come up in actual SD shooting situations are multiple and varied. Having night sights doesn't mean that one has to use them if the problem doesn't require their use. BUT, it gives me at least one more option. For the same reasoning, I change all my handguns possible to hammers with thumb pieces. The problem just might require a precision aimed shot with a single action trigger action.

I don't like the insistence of the night sight makers for us to have the front sight and the rear sight dots (or bars) of the same color. To me, that is just wrong. I use a small Gunsmithing firm in Michigan that does most of Trijicon's relamping for my night sights. I can get a selection of colors for the rear sight. For some reason the front sight color is fixed.

This might be an appropriate time to bring up the subject of "How Much Sighting Effort Does One Need?" The thinking 'gunnie' will have resolved that actual self defense is not and never will be a shooting range exercise. The problem might be one or multiple bad guys. The range to the BG might be from contact to way out there. Given that the requirement for the shooter in using sights, positions, grips, stance becomes very fluid to the point in an actual fire fight no two shots will be made with any of the above being the same...... Now, back to sight requirements. It can be; none, probably you can't even see your gun. This is usually called Point Shooting. Or it can be just the silhouette of the gun and your familiarity of the ergonomics while the gun is below your line of sight. Or it can be the the silhouette with the gun up at eye level. Or it can be quick acquisition of just the front sight and shoot. Or it can be the traditional, acquire the full sight picture and a controlled trigger press. ...... There are slight variations to all of these generalities......My point is that standing in a shooting lane at your favorite indoor shooting range is not going to give you the muscle memory and training to be proficient with all those possible sighting requirements.

I like all the positive options that I can give myself if forced to face the fact that I'm in a fire fight that I can't avoid. Good night sights are just one of them. I will grant you that some of you are going to have all the physical assets, training and muscle memory to make the 'need' for night sights to be on the lower end of the scale. I know I'm not in that category. I need all the help I can get and I will gladly accept the possible help those night sights are going to provide when necessary. ...........
The Following 5 Users Like Post: