View Single Post

Old 12-26-2016, 03:48 PM

Liked 150 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Every good reloader scrounges range brass. Its free, often once fired, why not save it from the brass bin? A turret is certainly an upgrade from a ss press, but dont let $250 diff put you off something like the 550. Forget speed, just the 75% less handle pulling would sell it for me.
I agree with you 100% fred. Allow me to comment on the overall direction this thread has taken.

If one were to go to the top of this thread, read and understand the question being asked by the OP, then separate the comments offered that are basically testimonials to a specific brand of press there would be little in the way of actual useful information.

Looking a bit deeper, there are some who try to make the case that since their particular financial situation, their personal spending habits and/or their experience with a particular brand or type of tool is the only standard to measure productivity in this hobby. Just because all an individual wants or can spend for a press is $125.00 doesn't mean that everyone who is retired or has hours of free time on their hands or is committed to making high quality ammo shouldn't rejoice in the time savings that a progressive press offers.

A turret press, on a really good day, might have a practical yield of 200 rounds per hour for straight wall pistol ammo. A progressive without a case and/or bullet feeder will have a practical yield at least twice that amount. A lot of people look a theoretical yield and quote that number as gospel.

I know several handgun shooters that are in the 80s and use progressive presses. They have the time to slug it out with a turret or single stage. But their attitude is why spend the time if I don't have to?