View Single Post

Old 12-29-2016, 02:26 PM

Liked 1,595 Times in 888 Posts

I think the OP is overestimating his velocity expectations from a 2 inch. Each individual gun and lot of ammo varies, etc, etc . But the 850-860fps range is typical for mainstream factory +P with 125-135gr.

Subtleties in the pressure curve can effect flip and torquing, but as rule of thumb, recoil closely relates to the Momentum of the total ejecta ( bullet weight plus powder weight ). Even a mild 158 loading will have more momentum than a +P 125 , or gasp 110jhp. When I carried a M37, I loaded 158 +P lead HP. * I * had suitable grips, plenty of hand strength, and made a decision to put up with the pain of firing in exchange for the horsepower if needed for real.

You can only bend the laws of physics a small amount. With an Airweight J Frame ( or other firearms of similar power/ weight ratios generally ) you quickly reach to inherent conflict between sub-marginal terminal ( whatever you call it) vs sub-marginal control and excessive pain.

If it were me or lived one in that perdicament, I would make darn sure to use an all steel gun. An SP101 would be even better. I've used Airweight and a 3in steel frame as BUG. The steel frame J's are viable for deep d concealment.