View Single Post

Old 12-30-2016, 08:56 PM

Liked 504 Times in 218 Posts
Default I've done it too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
How in the world does a taper crimping die leave a ring on the bullet? That shouldn't happen and I'd think about getting different die.

All a taper crimp is supposed to do is take the flare off the case mouth and push it (with no pressure) against the side of the bullet.
It's the seating stem that's leaving the ring. It doesn't match the shape of the bullet so the edge on the bottom of the stem is what's leaving the ring.

I would venture to guess he is actually crimping (not just removing the flare) while seating so there is a fair amount of pressure while seating and the stem shape doesn't match the shape of the bullet.

I have had this happen when I first started hand loading and was way over crimping while seating, and this was with RCBS dies. Again, if the shape of the seating stem doesn't match the bullet profile it will leave the ring DYI is referring to.

I have to agree that seating and crimping in one step can be done but it's much easier, at least for me, to get a consistent COL in separate steps, especially when starting out.