View Single Post

Old 01-09-2017, 12:52 AM

Liked 6,551 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peak53 View Post
... until I lose it. That's ok, because I have found many more knives, mostly on a streambank, than I have lost during my life. Of course, most of those knives have been lost, too! I recently decided to honor my Dad by carrying his Schrade Old Timer instead of letting it sit on the shelf where it has been for 25 years or so. Imagine my dismay when I recently reached in my pocket and found ... nothing.

This was followed by an hour of sifting through pine needles and saw dust where I had been operating the chain saw. All to no avail. I eventually became very discouraged, used many perfectly appropriate words, and gave up. Later, I went to retrieve my work clothes from the washer ... and guess what I found! Life is good. And, yes, after some thought, I will continue to carry it.

I've been carrying that exact same knife for 33 years. My wife gave me one in the first year of our marriage. I've lost it several times, but it always seems to show back up. Once I dropped it in the yard and my son just happened to find it. That was luck in a big yard of St. Augustine. It was missing for six months or so when it turned up in a potted plant. I figured it fell off the bar into the plant. I still carry it often.